chaplin

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Father's Day

The second of Richard Ford's Rules For Writers is "don't have children". This is interesting since so many of his books turn on the subject of father-son relationships.

I've never written any fiction. If I did I think I'd have difficulty writing about anything but my children. Well, not them in particular so much as the the experience of having them, of watching them turn into adults and realising that nature is an awful lot stronger than nurture.

The thought of what they could write but dare not for fear of being misunderstood by their nearest and dearest must torture the writers of fiction.

1 comment:

  1. I will probably misquote this but I think it was Boy George who said of Holly Johnson's autobiography he had "the luxury of dead parents"

    ReplyDelete